- View the current IHS electronic Transaction Testing and RPMS for meeting HIPAA Electronic Transactions and Code Sets standards. Included with the status report are instructions for adding HIPAA required provider and location taxonomy codes to RPMS along with the RPMS Provider Taxonomy Cross-Walk Table.
- A HIPAA Compliance Packet is provided to assist Area and site level programs in meeting HIPAA Transactions and Code Sets standards.
- Minutes of conference calls addressing this issue are included as a reference for people who were not able to be on a call.
- NEW!Updated IHS HIPAA Coordinators: This links to the current IHS HIPAA Coordinators (updated March 2008) who are responsible for their respective Area in all aspects of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- IHS NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES (2007) COLORIZED PAMPHLET [PDF-561KB]
This links to the current colorized pamphlet IHS Notice of Privacy Practices (September 14, 2007) that was developed by the IHS HIPAA Privacy Compliance workgroup consisting of lawyers, health information management consultants and the IHS Privacy Act/HIPAA Privacy Officer.
- OCR HIPAA COMPLAINT FORM & INSTRUCTIONS [PDF-71KB]
This links to the HHS-Office for Civil Rights(OCR)-HIPAA Complaint Form, Instructions to where to file your complaint at the OCR Regional Office. It is your option to file your complaint directly with the IHS facility where you were treated BUT you may follow the link above to file your complaint directly with Secretary, U.S. Health and Human Services. Each IHS Area Office should have additional HIPAA Privacy information.
- IHS HIPAA Compliant Forms/Policies and Procedures
This links to the HIPAA Policy and Procedure Manual used by the IHS and the forms needed for procedures that require them. These were developed by a workgroup consisting of lawyers, health records personnel and privacy act officers. The Policy and Procedures were updated in September 2007 to be compliant with changes in the HIPAA regulations.
- APRIL 15, 2005
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has awarded Fox Systems, Inc. of Scottsdale Arizona, a five year contract to serve as the National Provider Identifier enumerator contractor.
Fox Systems will process applications from healthcare providers and assign national standard provider identification numbers in accordance with HIPAA.
At the time CMS is ready to accept applications for an NPI, health care providers can begin to apply. The NPI must be used on standard transactions with health plans, other than small health plans, no later than May 23, 2007. Providers should not begin using the NPI until health plans have issued specific instructions on accepting NPI on or before May 23, 2007.
May 23, 2005 was the original date that providers could start applying for an NPI. As of April 5, 2005, CMS has not announced how this process will take place. CMS will announce information about how to contact Fox regarding the NPI as the NPI implementation date approaches.