Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I find Form 8822, IRS Change of Address form?

How do I find Form 8822, IRS Change of Address form?


Form 8822, Change of Address is an Internal Revenue Service form used to change your address with the IRS, not Social Security. You can find the form on the IRS website at

NOTE: You will need the Adobe Reader software to read this file. Go to to download the program if you do not already have it.

The Social Security Administration does not have a change of address form. To change your address with Social Security:
  1. If you receive cash benefits, have applied for benefits, or are entitled to Medicare:
    • Change your address or phone number online.
    • Call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. Our representatives will be glad to take the information and make any necessary changes in our records.
    • Notify your local field office. You can get addresses and directions to our field offices from the Social Security Office Locator which is available on the Internet at:
  2. If you are not currently entitled to Social Security or Medicare benefits, and do not have an application pending - Take no action. Social Security only maintains address information on current beneficiaries and people who have applications for benefits pending.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?