Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  I receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. How do I notify Social Security that I have changed my address?
  I receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.  How do I notify Social Security that I have changed my address?

Social Security needs your correct mailing address to send you notices and other correspondence about your benefits even if you receive your benefits by direct deposit.

Because a change of address for a SSI recipient often requires reevaluation of living arrangements, you cannot complete the change of address online.

A Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient must report any change in living arrangements by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, or by visiting a local office within 10 days after the month the change occurs.  If not, the recipient could end up receiving an incorrect payment and have to pay it back.  Failure to report or filing false reports could result in a fine, imprisonment, or both.  Also, the recipient needs to report his or her new address to Social Security so that he or she can continue to receive mail from Social Security when necessary.

When you call our toll-free number,  you can speak to a representative from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. on business days.

Our 800-number telephones generally are less busy during the early morning from 7 A.M. to 9 A.M. and in the late afternoon and evening from 5 P.M. to 7 P.M.  We encourage people to call during these times to avoid busy signals and extended wait times.  

Our phone lines are also busiest early in the week and early in the month.  You can help us serve you better by having your Social Security number handy when you call.

People who are hearing-impaired may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 A.M. and 7 P.M. on business days.

Callers from Alaska, Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands may receive different live service hours.  However, they will continue to have automated services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you prefer, you may contact your local Social Security office for assistance.  Our representatives will be glad to help you.  You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security Office on our website at the following Internet address:

  Answers others found helpful
  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?