Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I correct the address on my Social Security Statement?
  How do I correct the address on my Social Security Statement?

Until you actually apply for benefit payments, we do not keep your current address on record at the Social Security Administration. When we mail your automatic Social Security Statement to you, we use the address provided to us by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

If you wish to update or correct the address that IRS has on file, you can download the change of address Form 8822 from the IRS Internet page.

NOTE: You will need the Adobe Reader  software to read this file.

If you live in Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands, we got your address from your local tax authority. You should contact them to correct your address.

If you live outside the United States, the address that the IRS gives us is sometimes not complete. We are working with the IRS to try to correct this problem.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?