Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  I am not entitled to benefits yet. How do I change my address?
  I am not entitled to benefits yet. How do I change my address?

Unless you are receiving Social Security benefits, or have applied to receive them, or were previously overpaid Social Security benefits, we do not maintain your address in our records. However, if we need your address, we will obtain it from the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) taxpayer files. The address we use is the latest address IRS has at the time we request it.

If your address has changed in the meantime, IRS will update its record when you file your next tax return. If you want to change the address before then, you can call IRS at this toll-free number, 1-800-829-3676 to request a Form 8822 - Change Of Address or you can visit our website to print a copy of Form 8822. After you complete the form, mail it to the IRS address indicated in the middle column on page 2 of Form 8822.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?