Online Guide to Quitting
Thinking About Quitting
Think about why you want to quit
- Decide for sure that you want to quit. Promise yourself that you'll do it. It's okay to have mixed feelings. Don't let that stop you. There will be times every day that you don't feel like quitting. You will have to stick with it anyway.
- Find reasons to quit that are important to you. Think of more than just health reasons. For example, think of:
- How much money you'll save by not buying cigarettes
- The time you'll have for yourself instead of taking cigarette breaks, rushing out to buy a pack, or searching for a light
- Not being short of breath or coughing as much
- Setting a better example for your children
- Write down all the reasons why you want to quit. List ways to fight the urge to smoke, too. (You will find tips for coping later in this guide.) Keep your list where you'll see it often. Good places are:
- Where you keep your cigarettes
- In your wallet or purse
- In the kitchen
- In your car
When you reach for a cigarette you'll find your list. It will remind you why you want to stop.