(The following are not U.S. Government web sites)
Sites of General Interest
- ASSOCIATION OF ORGAN PROCUREMENT ORGANIZATIONS (AOPO)
Provides information of OPOs and the role they play in the organ donation and transplantation process.
- COALITION ON DONATION
Provides general information about organ and tissue donation. Home page has an article about Chris Klug, a liver recipient who won an Olympic medal for snowboarding.
- LIVING ORGAN DONOR.ORG
Dedicated to providing the most current information for people considering being a living donor of a solid organ—such as a kidney or a lobe of a liver or lung.
- NATIONAL DONOR FAMILY COUNCIL (NDFC)
Contains information and resources for families of donors.
- NATIONAL MINORITY ORGAN TISSUE TRANSPLANT EDUCATION PROGRAM (MOTTEP)
Comprehensive information about minority health issues relating to donation and transplantation.
- NATIONAL TRANSPLANT ASSISTANCE FUND
Organization committed to educating the public about the critical need for organ donation.
- THE NICHOLAS EFFECT - A BOY’S GIFT TO THE WORLD
Story about a young boy who was kidnapped and killed while on vacation with his family in Italy. His parents unselfishly donated his organs to seven Italians, an act which had a major positive impact on Italy’s donation rates. Web site explores the ramifications of the family’s generosity.
- NOVA ONLINE
A Public Broadcasting Service Website that employs a virtual operating theatre to allow one to conduct a greatly simplified heart transplant operation. Provides an idea of what’s involved in making a donor heart work in a recipient.
- ORGAN PROCUREMENT AND TRANSPLANTATION NETWORK (OPTN)
The OPTN is the unified transplant network established by the United States Congress under the National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA) of 1984 and links all of the professionals involved in the donation and transplantation system.
- SCIENTIFIC REGISTRY OF TRANSPLANT RECIPIENTS (SRTR)
Provides extensive data on donation and transplantation.
- SURGERY DOOR
Explains major transplant medical procedures.
- TRANSPLANT WEEK
Aims to have the latest news about transplantation.
- UNITED NETWORK FOR ORGAN SHARING (UNOS)
Provides up-to-date news of developments in transplantation, information on the number of patients on waiting lists, and extensive background material on organ donation and transplantation.
- WEBSITES ASSOCIATED WITH ORGAN AND TISSUE DONATION AND TRANSPLANTATION
Provides a comprehensive list of known sources of support and information about organ donation and transplantation at different levels of interest.
Sites devoted to Specific Organs, Tissues, Marrow, and Blood
- AMERICA’S BLOOD CENTERS (ABC)
Site for international network of local nonprofit blood centers. Contains easily accessible information about blood.
- AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF BLOOD BANKS (AABB)
Site provides extensive information on blood and blood donation.
- AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF TISSUE BANKS
Contains extensive information on tissue donation and transplantation.
- AMERICAN RED CROSS
Red Cross is the largest supplier of blood, plasma, and tissue products in the U.S. and provides 20 percent of the nation’s tissues for transplant. Site provides extensive information on becoming a blood or tissue donor.
- EYE BANK ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
Site of organization of eye banks dedicated to the restoration of sight through the promotion of eye banking.
- THE FOUNDATION FOR CARDIOVASCULAR AND TRANSPLANT RESEARCH
An organ donation Website with specific information about the heart.
- THE MARROW FOUNDATION
Dedicated to increasing the size and diversity of the National Registry of unrelated marrow donors.
- NATIONAL HEART, LUNG, AND BLOOD INSTITUTE, NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Provides both current news and background information on heart and heart-lung transplants.
- NATIONAL KIDNEY FOUNDATION (NKF)
Site of organization dedicated to preventing kidney and urinary tract diseases, improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases, and increasing the availability of all organs for transplantation.
- NATIONAL MARROW DONOR PROGRAM (NMDP)
This site provides general information on how to become a volunteer donor, answers the most frequently asked questions, and provides information on diseases treatable by marrow or blood stem cell transplantation.
- A PATIENT’S GUIDE TO LIVER TRANSPLANT SURGERY
Provides extensive information on liver transplant surgery.