Re: Beginner problem.

Message from the sgt mail list.

Alex F. Talbott, Jr. wrote:
> Even though I program with java, mainly jsp, I still consider myself new
> to the environment and to installing new classes to use.  That said here
> is my problem.
>

> Environment:
>
> Os windows xp
>
> Webserver  IIS 5.0
>
> Tomcat 4129
>
> Java version
>
> U:\>java -version
>
> java version "1.4.1_02"
>
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_02-b06)
>
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_02-b06, mixed mode)
>

> I have tried dropping the sgt_v30.jar in the follow directories for tomcat
>
> <tomcat install dir>\common\lib
>
> <tomcat install dir>\shared\lib
>
> <tomcat install dir>\webapps\development\WEB-INF\lib

I am not sure why that didn't work, but an alternative approach is to
copy the SGT source code files (the "gov" directory and subdirectories
from <sgt>\source\src\ ) into your source code directory (
<tomcat>\webapps\development\WEB-INF\classes\ ).

When I did that, my compiler reported a few problems, but they were
manageable. The side benefit is that the source code is then available
to view (and tweak) easily.

> And every time I stop and restart tomcat.  When I restart tomcat it
> stops working.
>

> Am I making some stupid beginner mistake that some one can easily point out.
>

> I have also tried copying the code for Example1 and saving it as
> Example1.java.  When I try to compile using the javac Example1.java
> command I get a bunch of errors mainly saying it can't find the classes
> which didn't surprise me.
>

> I know am a beginner and that is why I would really appreciate some
> help.  Thanks in advance.
>

> Alex F Talbott
>
> Fuller, Mossbarger, Scott and May Engineers, Inc.
>
> 1901 Nelson Miller Parkway
>
> Louisville, Ky. 40223
>
> Direct Phone(502) 212-5092
>
> Direct Fax (502) 238-1765