Business Employment Dynamics is
a set of statistics generated from the Quarterly Census of
Employment and Wages, or ES-202, program. These quarterly data
series consist of gross job gains and gross job losses statistics
from 1992 forward. These data help to provide a picture of the
dynamic state of the labor market.
Business Employment Dynamics: Fourth Quarter 2007
August 12, 2008
From September to December 2007, the number of job gains from opening
and expanding private sector establishments was 7.7 million, and the
number of job losses from closing and contracting establishments was
- Quarterly Data on Business Employment Dynamics (HTML) (PDF) — this release includes updates for the private sector as a whole and for firm size classes.
- Quarterly Data From BLS on Business Employment Dynamics by State (TXT) (PDF) — State-level Business Employment Dynamics.
- Firm Size Class Quarterly Data (HTML) (PDF) — this initial release of firm size class data includes analysis of data series that begin in 1992.
- County Employment and Wages (HTML)
- Subscribe to the BLS News Service — receive the Quarterly Data on Business Employment Dynamics news releases by e-mail.
- Series Report —Already know the series identifier for the statistic you want? Use this shortcut to retrieve your data.
- Flat files FTP Site —For those who want it all. Download a flat file of the entire database or large subset of the database.
- Sheryl Konigsberg, The Geospatial Distribution of Employment: A New Visual Asset. March 2007 Monthly Labor Review
- Jessica Helfand, Akbar Sadeghi and David Talan, Employment Dynamics: Small and Large Firms Over the Business Cycle. March 2007 Monthly Labor Review
- Cordelia Okolie, Why Size Class Methodology Matters in Analyses of Net and Gross Job Flows. July 2004 Monthly Labor Review
- R. Jason Faberman, Gross Job Flows Over the Past Two Business Cycles: Not All 'Recoveries' are Created Equal. 2004 Working Paper
- James R. Spletzer, R. Jason Faberman, Akbar Sadeghi, David M. Talan, and Richard L. Clayton, Business Employment Dynamics: New Data on Gross Job Gains and Losses. April 2004 Monthly Labor Review
- Joshua Pinkston and James Spletzer, Annual Measures of Job Creation and Job Destruction Created from Quarterly Microdata.
- R. Jason Faberman, Job flows and labor dynamics in the U.S. Rust Belt. September 2002 Monthly Labor Review
- R. Jason Faberman, Job Creation and Destruction within Washington and Baltimore. September 2001 Monthly Labor Review
- Timothy R. Pivetz, Michael A. Searson, and James R. Spletzer, Measuring Job and Establishment Flows with BLS Longitudinal Microdata. April 2001 Monthly Labor Review
Other BLS Programs
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages — a quarterly count of employment and wages reported by employers covering 98 percent of U.S. jobs, available at the county, metropolitan area, state and national levels by industry.
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the CES survey (National) — monthly national data by detailed industry on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments.
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the CES survey (State and Area) — monthly data on employment, hours, and earnings by industry and geographic area.
Other Useful Links
- NOTE: With the release of first quarter 2007 data, all historical Business Employment Dynamics series back to third quarter 1992 have been revised, for both seasonally adjusted and not seasonally adjusted series to incorporate updated and improved input data. The differences between the revised and previously published Business Employment Dynamics data series are available for national data. (See Revisions to Historical Business Employment Dynamics Data) The differences for
industry and size class data series may be obtained upon request by email.
- Assessing the Timeliness of Business Births in BLS Establishment Statistics (PDF 71K)
Office of Employment and Unemployment
Business Employment Dynamics
Massachusetts Ave, NE
Washington, DC 20212-0001
Gross Job Gains:
7,650,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
1,561,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
6,089,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
Gross Job Losses:
7,333,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
1,690,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
5,643,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
Number of establishments gaining jobs:
1,936,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
347,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
1,589,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
Number of establishments losing jobs:
1,923,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
374,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
1,549,000 in 4th Qtr of 2007
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release email.