[Logo: Homes and Communities: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development]
[Vea la versión en español de esta página] [Contact Us] [Display the text version of this page] [Search/Index]
HUD News
About HUD

Home improvements
HUD homes
Fair housing
FHA refunds
Consumer info

About communities
Economic development

Working with HUD
Work online
HUD jobs

Handbooks/ forms
Common questions

Mailing lists
RSS Feeds

[The U.S. government's official web portal]  

How to Get Housing Help

 Information by State
 Print version

General Information
 -   How to get help
 -   Donate and Volunteer
 -   Finding Friends and Information
 -   Health and Safety
 -   What Government is Doing
 -   En Español
 -   Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund
 -   National Emergency Resource Registry

There are many resources available to help you find, and pay for, housing.

Immediately register with FEMA for housing assistance. Some disaster assistance is contingent on your registration with FEMA.

 -   Register online
 -   Toll-free number: 1 (800) 621-FEMA (3362)
(TTY: 800-462-7585) available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
 -   FEMA's Individual and Households Program (IHP) provides an initial three month rental assistance payment in the form of check or electronic fund transfer in the amount of $2,358. See FEMA's website for details.

If you need emergency housing or other emergency services immediately, these organizations may be able to help:

 -   American Red Cross: 1 (877) 568-3317
 -   Salvation Army: 1 (800) 725-2769
 -   Catholic Charities: 1 (800) 919-9338
 -   Local housing shelters and homeless assistance

If you were a resident of Public Housing or have a Section 8 voucher in a disaster-affected area

 -   Call HUD's Housing Hotline. HUD has established a single toll-free housing hotline,
1 (888) 297-8685 (Available 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CDT, seven days a week.)
 -   Visit a Public Housing Authority they will assist you with your options.

FEMA/HUD Katrina Disaster Housing Assistance Program
Families displaced by Hurricane Katrina may decide in which city they would like to live. Upon arriving in their new community, the evacuated family will meet with the local public housing authority that will help them find a suitable place to live. Families will be given a rental subsidy based on 100 percent of Fair Market Rent in that community.

Eligible families include:

 -   displaced public housing residents;
 -   Section 8 voucher holders;
 -   other HUD-assisted households; and,
 -   pre-disaster homeless individuals who were directly affected by the hurricane.

Department of Agriculture provides housing resources through its Rural Development program. You can find those resources on their website.

Content updated November 2, 2006   Follow this link to go  Back to top   
FOIA Privacy Web Policies and Important Links  Home [logo: Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity]
[Logo: HUD seal] U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
Find the address of a HUD office near you