Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I notify Social Security that I changed my address?
  How do I notify Social Security that I changed my address?

If you receive benefits or have been overpaid...

If you get Social Security benefits you can change your address online by answering a series of questions that have to match our records.

You can also change your address on the Internet if you have established a permanent password. If you would like to get a password, you can apply online or you can call us at 1-800-772-1213.

If you do not want to answer the questions that are asked online or you do not have a permanent password, you cannot submit a change of address online. Instead, you can either speak to a Social Security representative by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or you can contact your local Social Security office.

If you do not receive benefits...

If you are not receiving benefits or Medicare, and do not have an overpayment or claim pending with us, we DO NOT keep a record of your address.

If you received a Social Security Statement with an incorrect address, those addresses came from the Internal Revenue Service and you must make the correction with them, not Social Security. You can download the change of address form from the IRS Website, or you can call the IRS toll-free telephone number at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form 8822.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?