Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  I no longer work in the U.S., can I have a Social Security tax refund?
  I have worked and paid Social Security taxes while living in the U.S. Since I am not eligible to receive Social Security benefits, can I have a refund of the taxes I paid?

The law does not permit a refund of Social Security taxes.

However, you may be eligible to receive U.S. Social Security benefits as a result of a bilateral agreement between the U.S. and your resident country. These agreements help many people who, without the agreement, would not be eligible for monthly retirement, disability or survivors benefits under the Social Security systems of one or both countries. These agreements also help people who would otherwise have to pay taxes to both countries on the same earnings.

You may access information about the agreements between the United States and other countries from the Internet website, International Agreements, Payments Outside the United States, and Social Security in Other Countries.

You may be interested to know that our Internet website contains information on how to obtain Social Security services when you are living outside the United States. You may connect to:

You may want to access the Internal Revenue Services' (IRS) publications 515 and 519 for details about employment taxes payable on the earnings of aliens. These publications are available on the Internet at:


  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?