A Graphical netCDF File Browser
Latest ncBrowse news! | Help| Mail Archive
ncBrowse is a Java application that provides flexible, interactive graphical displays of data and attributes
from a wide range of netCDF data file conventions.
1.6.3 released. Fixes Dapper connection problem.
1.6.2 released. Fixes epic_code missing error.
1.6.0 released. Cleans up Dapper data access and fixes numerous
lines by another variable.
visualizations and LAS data access now available.
- New OPeNDAP (formerly
known as DODS) support with test version.
- New MacOS
X support with test version.
support for variable mapping and animation. (Warning: this is
test version, please report any problems.)
- Directly access remote netCDF files from the Web. Uses the HTTPClient
library for connectivity.
- Designed to work with arbitrary netCDF
- Browses file using the EPIC and COARDS
- Provides a "tree" view of the netCDF file.
- Handles character variables.
- Handles dimensions without an associated variable.
- Uses sgt graphics to perform 1 and 2 dimensional cuts through data.
- Save to file a complete or the subset of a single variable as a "cdl" text file.
- Save to file time-depth slice in UNH format.
- InstallAnywhere scripts for UNIX, Win32, and MacOS.
- Currently uses Java 2 and Swing.
- Jdk1.1 version available for Mac Users.
Using ncBrowse and Help
Plot of velocity as a function of depth and time.
Contour level editor.
Main ncBrowse interface.
Tree View of netCDF file contents.
Selection of domain for graphical display.
Plot of wind speed as a function of time.
Plot of temperature as a function of depth and time.
Presently all downloading is via ftp. Use the links provided below or go
to the ftp directories at ftp://ftp.epic.noaa.gov/java/ncBrowse
to access older versions.
Installers for current version
Test netCDF Data Files
EPIC License Agreement
This page is Bobby Approved.
Announcements, discussions, and help are available at the ncBrowse mail list firstname.lastname@example.org,
you must be a member of the list to post messages.
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help on the mail list send mail to email@example.com
with "subscribe ncbrowse", "unsubscribe ncbrowse", or "help",
respectively, in the
body of the mail message.
ncBrowse was written by Donald W. Denbo. Send comments and suggestions to
This software is provided free of charge for all to use.
Please acknowledge NOAA/PMEL/EPIC group if you use these tools, applets, or applications.
external links disclaimer,
and software license agreement.
Acknowledgments: This software was developed at the Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean (JISAO), a joint institute
of the University of Washington
(UW) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory (PMEL), and funded by NOAA/ESDIM, NOAA/HPCC, NSF, and NOAA/PMEL.
US Dept of Commerce NOAA / OAR / PMEL / EPIC