There are two Internet verification options you can use to verify that your employee names and Social Security numbers match Social
Security's records. You can:
- Verify up to 10 names and SSNs (per screen) online and receive
immediate results. This option is ideal to verify new hires.
- Upload overnight files of up to 250,000 names and SSNs and
usually receive results the next government business day. This
is ideal if you want to verify an entire payroll database or
if you hire a large number of workers at a time.
While the service is available to all employers and third-party submitters, it can only be used to verify current or former
employees and only for wage reporting (Form W-2) purposes.
Why Should I Verify Names and SSNs Online
- Correct names and SSNs on W-2 wage reports are the keys to the successful processing of your annual wage report submission.
- It's faster and easier to use than submitting your requests
paper listings or using Social Security's
telephone verification option.
- Results in more accurate wage reports.
- Saves you processing costs and reduces the number of W-2cs.
- Allows Social Security to properly credit your employees' earnings record, which will be important information in determining
their Social Security benefits in the future.
Steps to Register for SSNVS
- Register to Use SSNVS - Registration is required through www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm.
Third-party preparers need only register once in their own firm's name.
Complete the registration form and select your own password. Social Security
will verify your identity against our records and display a User ID.
Make note of your the User ID, password and expiration date.
- Request Access and Activation Code - Return to www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm
and login in with your User ID and password. Select "Request Access and Activation
- Activation Code is Mailed to Your Employer - Your employer
should give you the activation code which allows you access to SSNVS.
- Login to Use the Service - Go to www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm,
select Login, input your User ID, password and activation code and you
will be able to use the service.
NOTE: For more detailed instructions on registering
and/or using SSNVS, get a copy of the www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnvs_handbk.htm.