Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  What if my income has gone down because I got married, divorced or my spouse died?
  What if my income has gone down because I got married, divorced or my spouse died?

If your income has gone down due to any of these circumstances and the change will make a difference in the income level we consider, contact us as soon as possible to explain that you have new information and want a new decision about your Income-Related Part B premium. You will need to show us evidence of the event and provide proof or an estimate of your reduced income. Evidence of the event could be an original or certified marriage certificate, death certificate or divorce decree. For example, proof of a change in your 2007 income could be a copy of your return for tax year 2007 or an estimate if you have not yet filed your 2007 taxes. If your income will not change until the following year, you can give us an estimate of what you think your income will be.

To report the change, you can use Form SSA-44, Medicare Part B Income-Related Premium - Life-Changing Event.

For more information, see Social Security's publication, Medicare Part B Premiums: New Rules For Beneficiaries With Higher Incomes, call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visit your local Social Security office.

To learn more about Medicare Part B coverage, visit

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?