Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Can I appeal the amount of my Medicare Part B premium?
  Can I appeal the amount of my Medicare Part B premium?

If you must pay more for your Part B premium because of your income and you disagree with the decision that you need to pay a higher premium amount, you have the right to request an appeal (also known as a reconsideration). You may request an appeal in writing by completing a Request for Reconsideration (Form SSA-561-U2). You also can request a copy of the form by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

However, if your income has gone down due to certain specific circumstances or you filed an amended tax return, you can ask for a new decision without having to file an appeal. Read our fact sheet, Medicare Part B Premiums: New Rules for Beneficiaries With Higher Incomes (SSA Publication No. 05-10161) for more details. You do not have to file an appeal to get a new initial decision.

For more information, visit our website at, call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visit your local Social Security office.

To learn more about Medicare Part B coverage, visit

  File Attachments
   • HTML document Form SSA-561
 • HTML document Form SSA-44
  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?