Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Which tax year will you use to determine my Income-Related Part B premium?
  Which tax year will you use to determine my Income-Related Part B premium?

To determine your Part B premium, we use the most recent tax return information provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). In most cases, this information is for two years prior to the year for which you must pay an income-related premium. For example, we usually used your 2005 tax return information for your 2007 premium. For 2008, we generally would use your 2006 tax return information.

To report the change, you can use Form SSA-44, Medicare Part B Income-Related Premium - Life-Changing Event.

For more information, see Social Security's publication, Medicare Part B Premiums: New Rules For Beneficiaries With Higher Incomes, call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visit your local Social Security office.

To learn more about Medicare Part B coverage, visit

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?