Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  I don’t agree with the tax information IRS gave Social Security. Can I just bring a copy of my tax return to my local office?

I don't agree with the tax information the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) gave Social Security to calculate my Medicare Part B income-related premium. Can I just bring in a copy of my tax return?


If you don't agree with the tax information that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) gave us, you will need to provide proof that you have more accurate information. More accurate information is:

  • your amended tax return, along with a letter from IRS accepting your amended return or an IRS transcript;
  • a letter or statement from IRS that they have corrected your tax information and that describes what the correction was;
  • your copy of your tax return which shows an obvious IRS transcription error in tax-exempt interest income; or\
  • your attestation under penalty of perjury that you lived apart from your spouse for the entire year when you filed your income tax return as Married Filing Separately.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?