(HealthDay News) - When a loved one is recovering from a major illness, he or she may need a lot of help and support.
The American Heart Association offers these suggestions:
- Offer plenty of support and encouragement, and look for support groups for both of you to join.
- Go along for doctor appointments. Ask questions and take notes, in case there are questions later.
- Give an honest report to the doctor about how your loved one is feeling, and how well he or she is following instructions.
- Help track and record information, such as when and how to take medicines, which foods to avoid, and which forms of exercise are safe.
- Offer to make healthy changes together. If your loved has to stop smoking, start exercising or change diet, make the same changes yourself.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit the healthfinder.gov health library.