U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Site Map   Contact Us   
America's Health Responders U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Photo of a Scientist Officer
Video Tours Duty Station Map Core Values News and Features Officer Video Profiles
Answering the Call Photo of a Scientist Officer
Apply Now E-mail a Question Questions & Answers


Print Print      Send this page by email Send

All Commissioned Corps officers must meet several basic qualifications: you must be a U.S. citizen, be less than 44 years old (if no prior military service), and pass a physical examination. To be a scientist officer, you also need the following:

  • A doctorate degree (Ph.D., D.P.H., D.Sc., or Ed.D. or other qualifying doctorate degree) that required successful completion of independent, scientific, data-driven original research in the specialty field. This research generally takes the form of a doctoral dissertation and can involve a variety of scientific research designs, including meta-analyses
  • For qualifying doctoral degrees with a licensure requirement, a current, unrestricted, and valid license in any of the 50 States; Washington, DC; the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; the U.S. Virgin Islands; or Guam.

If you are a science student or scientist interested in joining the fight for public health, or if you have questions about what we do and how you can make a difference with the Commissioned Corps, we would like to talk to you. E-mail us your questions, call us at 800-279-1605, or apply online now.

Officers Bios
Site Map  -  Contact Us  -  Linking to USPHS.gov  -  Privacy Notice  -  Accessibility  -  Web site Disclaimers
Freedom of Information Act  -  USA.gov  -   Office of Public Health and Science -  Office of the Surgeon General
Department of Health and Human Services  U.S.Public Health Service

Last updated on 6/10/2008