U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Site Map   Contact Us   
America's Health Responders U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Photo of a Scientist Officer
Video Tours Duty Station Map Core Values News and Features Officer Video Profiles
Answering the Call Photo of a Scientist Officer
Apply Now E-mail a Question Questions & Answers


Print Print      Send this page by email Send

The Corps seeks scientist officers to:

  • Conduct biomedical, clinical, behavioral, and epidemiological research.
  • Provide clinical psychology services clinical psychology services in a variety of settings, especially for special needs and underserved populations
  • Review and regulate biologics, drugs, food, and medical devices
  • Develop, implement, and provide oversight for national and international health research programs that address prevention, treatment, and management of numerous diseases and conditions
  • Manage national health programs in areas such as chronic and infectious diseases, injury prevention and control, nutrition, mental health , and obesity
  • Work on domestic and international assignments
  • Serve in leadership positions to ensure preparedness and an effective response to public health emergencies and natural disasters.

Scientist officers in the Corps have received their qualifying degrees from a broad range of doctoral training programs and specialty areas, including epidemiology and other public health sciences; physical and biological sciences (such as biology, chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, biochemistry, microbiology, human and plant physiology, and genetics); biostatistics; health and bioinformatics; clinical sciences; health risk assessment/communication and health marketing; science and public health policy; research and clinical psychology; social sciences; regulatory affairs in biology, toxicology, and environmental sciences; science administration (research and management); entomology; and anthropology.

Scientist officers in the Commissioned Corps work throughout the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and in other Federal agencies and programs, including the following:

If you are a science student or a scientist interested in joining the fight for public health, or if you have questions about what we do and how you can make a difference with the Commissioned Corps, we would like to talk to you. E-mail us your questions, call us at 800-279-1605, or apply online now.

Officers Bios
Site Map  -  Contact Us  -  Linking to USPHS.gov  -  Privacy Notice  -  Accessibility  -  Web site Disclaimers
Freedom of Information Act  -  USA.gov  -   Office of Public Health and Science -  Office of the Surgeon General
Department of Health and Human Services  U.S.Public Health Service

Last updated on 6/10/2008