How to Apply for a Passport Renewal


If you already have a passport book and wish to apply for your first passport card, you may do so by mail if you are eligible to use Form DS-82.  See Below for details!
Should You Apply for a Passport Renewal by Mail using Form DS-82?
YES, If You…
  1. Already have a passport that is not damaged; and
  2. Received it within the past 15 years; and
  3. Were at least age 16 when it was issued; and
  4. Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change).


  • A previous passport book holder, eligible to use the DS-82, may apply for a passport card as a renewal. (American citizens may possess a passport book and a passport card simultaneously).
  • U.S. citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
  • U.S. citizens residing in Canada may mail DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail, renewal applications to the address indicated on the form.  Payment must be in US$.
  • Passports renewed by mail in the U.S. may only be mailed  to U.S. and Canadian addresses.
  • If you mutilate or alter your U.S. passport, you may invalidate it and risk possible prosecution under the law (Section 1543 of Title 22 of the U.S. Code).
  • If your passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged , you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person. ( See How to Apply in Person .)
  • Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip and/or have two to four blank visa/stamp pages.  Some airlines will not allow you to board if these requirements are not  met.
  • If you are behind in child support payments, you may not be able to get a passport.  See Child Support.
If you can, then How Do You Renew Your Passport By Mail?
1. Complete Application For a U.S. Passport by Mail , form DS-82
2. Attach to it:
  • Your most recent passport
  • Two identical passport photographs (See Helpful Hints for details on affixing your photo to the application)
  • And, a $75 fee payable to the U.S. Department of State.
  • If you need your passport urgently, you may request Expedited Service.

NOTE: Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport.

3. If your name has changed since your passport was issued:
  • Enclose a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, or court order).
  • No photocopies accepted.
NOTE: If your name has changed by other means, you must apply in person. (See How to Apply in Person .)
4. Mail in a padded envelope to the address indicated on the form.

NOTE: Please note that overnight service will not speed up processing time unless the $60 fee for expedited service is also included.( Click here for information on Expedited Service .)

Most Passport Agencies now accept applications only by appointment. Click here for more information.

Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16