Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I correct my date of birth on Social Security’s records?

How do I correct my date of birth on Social Security’s records?


To change the date of birth shown on our records:

  • U.S. citizenship (if you have not already established citizenship with us);
  • Age; and
  • Identity.

For more details, see Documents You Need for a Social Security Card.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency.  We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

It may take a few weeks for us to verify your information and change your record. If needed, we can provide you with a letter acknowledging you requested the change.

  File Attachments
   • HTML document Application for Social Security Card
  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?