Skip to content
Social Security Online
Widows, Widowers & Other Survivors
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Report a Death


Please accept our condolences for your loss of a family member.

You can report the death to a service representative by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, between the hours of 7 AM and 7 PM on business days. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 AM and 7 PM on business days. Whenever you call, have the deceased person's Social Security number handy.

If you are getting benefits on your spouse's record when he or she dies, we will change your payments to survivors benefits.

If you are getting benefits on your own record, you can apply for survivors benefits. Call or visit us to find out whether you can get more money as a widow or widower.

Current benefits for children will automatically change to survivors benefits after the death is reported to us.

If you need additional information, or your spouse was already receiving benefits, please read How Social Security Can Help You When a Family Member Dies.



 Link to U.S. Government portal Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Last reviewed or modified Monday Jan 14, 2008
Need Larger Text?