Skip to content
Social Security Online
Get Help With Your Situation
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Birth of a Child

Get a Social Security card for the child

Most hospitals will provide you with the paperwork to do this, but you can also get the form and instructions online. Your child needs a Social Security number in order to be claimed as a dependent on a tax return, to open a bank account, or to buy savings bonds. Some schools and government agencies may also require that you provide this number in order to obtain services.

baby photo link to baby names page

Apply for disability benefits for the child

If your child was born prematurely or with a disabling condition, you can apply for disability benefits for the child.

Apply for other benefits for the child

If one of the parents is currently receiving Social Security benefits, the child may also be eligible. If one of the parents is deceased, the child may qualify for survivors benefits.

State and local governments provide many programs to help meet the nutritional needs of low-income people and their families. Although we don't run any of them, we're trained to refer you to the agency responsible for any programs you might be eligible for. For example, we have a special working relationship with social service agencies that run the food stamp program. In some cases, we can take a food stamp application.

 Link to U.S. Government portal Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Last reviewed or modified Monday Jan 14, 2008
Need Larger Text?