The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) announced plans for a policy utilization effort to provide implementation diagnostics, actionable insights and best practices for key information technology policy initiatives in its Fiscal Year 2009 Information Technology Budget overview. In response, General Services Administration (GSA) Office of Governmentwide Policy (OGP) created the PUA Program office to support a contract vehicle for conducting timely government-wide and agency -specific assessments.
The PUA program office will conduct independent third party assessments in Federal agencies of IT policy implementations. This effort utilizes a combination of OGP and contractor staff to provide program support and to conduct assessments throughout Federal agencies. These assessments will provide agency CIOs with:
- Useful methodologies to help gauge agency implementation of IT policies,
- Help achieve intended policy results (by developing best practices, Government-wide benefits from Federal organizations, etc.), especially in the technology use areas of privacy, security and interoperability, and,
- Documenting and sharing actionable insights and best practices.
The following PUA activities have been completed so far this year:
- A Pilot or Level 1 assessment was initiated in May 2008 and completed in July 2008 for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) and Federal Desktop Core Configuration (FDCC) policies with a small number of CIO Council member agencies. Visit the following site for more information PUA Pilot Assessment.
- The contractor is to deliver the following reports at scheduled intervals by September 2008: FDCC best practices, IPv6 White Paper and PUA assessment methodology.
- A second assessment to include additional scorecard agencies for policy assessment is to begin in October 2008.
The PUA program will help bring focus to key technology implementation and change issues. The PUA reports are intended to provide the following benefits:
- Unprecedented insight into actual utilizations and areas that need remediation,
- Cost-effective insights and opportunities by highlighting the Federal Government’s high-performing agencies.