DUNMORE — Residents displaced because their gas was turned off following Thursday’s explosion and fire on Smith Street in Dunmore are encouraged to return home so UGI Utilities can turn their gas back on, utility company spokesman Don Brominski said.

Residents along the suburban Dunmore road were evacuated yesterday because a water main break and natural gas leak led to an explosion that killed 86-year-old Madlyn Mecca.

Residents are allowed to return, Mr. Brominski said. About 80 people had service disrupted and occupants need to be home so UGI can restore heat.

Check back for updates.