- Subscribe NowLimited Time Offer
Fracking debate gets personal one week before historic Denton vote
Send this to a friend
People on both ends of the fracking spectrum challenged the validity of the other's research Monday night at Brookhaven College in Farmers Branch.
It comes just eight days before the city of Denton votes on a referendum that would ban hydraulic fracking in the city. If adopted Nov. 4, Denton would be the first city in Texas to do so.
Tillman, an Air Force veteran, said he was seeking the American dream when he bought rural land in the Denton County town.
That was until an ever-growing natural gas compressor station moved in next door, causing noise and odor pollution to spread onto his property. His children started having nose bleeds and other negative health effects, he said.
Much like the residents in Denton when drilling encroached on their homes, Tillman said he discovered the utility had eminent domain powers and couldn't be stopped. That turned the lifelong Republican who supported both Bush presidential campaigns into an activist.
"Talking out about the oil and gas industry just felt wrong," said Tillman. "Imagine my surprise that the minute I spoke publicly about the oil and gas industry, I was termed a left-wing, radical, un-American, tree-hugging environmental wacko who is now getting paid by Russia."
He monitored the noise, which he likened to a tractor trailer going through his yard, and later the city conducted an air quality test.
McAleer was quick to criticize the validity of these tests in "FrackNation" and again at the debate Monday because he said the woman who conducted the tests falsified her credentials.
Nicholas covers the energy, manufacturing, aviation and transportation beats for the Dallas Business Journal. Subscribe the Energy Inc. newsletter
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending on your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.
Sales Representative – Packaging Products Green Bay Packaging Inc. | Ft. Worth, TX
Channel Sales Executive Houston Business Journal | Houston, TX
Level 2 Technician Fluid IT Services | Plano, TX
Store Managers / Store Associates Hollywood Feed | Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Chief Human Resources Officer Public Health - Seattle & King County | Seattle, WA
- Most popular
- Behind the numbers of State Farm's new regional hub in Richardson
- Exclusive: Live Nation to open new $40M concert venue in Irving
- A sneak peek inside Exxon Mobil's under-used Dallas office campus
- Artful salesman or Dallas con man? The life and death of
- The Fresh Market to open first Dallas store Dec. 3
- See how Southwest and Virgin America did at Love Field in October
- $15M North Dallas retail center posted for foreclosure auction
- Sentinel Capital to break ground on $90M office campus in Allen
- Highland Capital suing Credit Suisse over $250M real estate loss
- $300M Clearfork project lands 'integral piece' with luxury retailer
Start your morning with business news essential to Dallas-Fort Worth's leaders.