- Subscribe NowLimited Time Offer
Are Flower Mound kids in danger of getting cancers?
Send this to a friend
Flower Mound children have a significantly higher risk of developing leukemia and lymphoma, according to a new study that reexamines a so-called cancer cluster in the city.
The study links the cancers to Barnett Shale drilling and fracking activity that’s been going on in the Denton County town for years.
Rachael Rawlins, a senior lecturer and researcher at UT Austin, published the report last week in the Virginia Environmental Law Journal. With her findings, she calls for increased monitoring, more health studies and tougher air regulations around urban drilling.
Not surprisingly, the oil and gas industry pounced on the study, immediately attacking Rawlins’ credibility.
“When someone comes along and comes to a different conclusion than dozens of real scientists came to, that just brings up a lot of red flags to me,” said Ed Ireland, executive director of the industry-funded Barnett Shale Energy Education Council.
Parents have raised concerns about increased health problems in the town for years, but the Texas Department of State Health Services has not found enough evidence. The agency wanted a study with 99 percent certainty to conclude the cluster existed. Rawlins’ used a 95 percent certainty, the norm for scientific studies.
“The reanalysis found, with 95 percent certainty, that rates of childhood leukemia and childhood lymphoma in Flower Mound are significantly higher than expected; there is only a 1 in 20 chance that the difference is random. Texas’ reactive and ultimately inadequate efforts to respond to citizens concerns on the Barnett Shale reflects a continuing need for across-the-board improvements in monitoring, health-based assessment and public communication,” she said.
Nicholas covers the energy, manufacturing, aviation and transportation beats for the Dallas Business Journal. Subscribe the Energy Inc. newsletter
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending on your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.
- Most popular
- Talking with Mark Hiduke, the millennial who secured $100M for oil co.
- NFL Hall-of-Famer and 'good guy' Terry Bradshaw's ranch hits market
- Toyota plots out new $350M corporate campus in Plano
- Irving mayor: Why the Texas Stadium site will become a corporate magne
- The Crescent ready to begin $62.5M transformation
- Exclusive: SoftLayer to double its Dallas headquarters; add 250 jobs
- $6.9M Willow Bend mansion lands on the auction block
- Behind the numbers of Toyota's new $350M campus
- Dallas Cowboys, Frisco brand $350M corporate campus with 'The Star'
- Preview: Microsoft to open its largest store to date at NorthPark
Insurance Agency Owner Brightway Insurance | Georgia, North Carolina, Texas
Channel Sales Executive Houston Business Journal | Houston, TX
Registered Nurse Intrepid USA | Dallas, TX
Home Health Clinical Manager - Waxahachie Guardian Healthcare | Waxahachie, TX
Finance Leader of Regional Operations Bridgestone Retail Operations, LLC | Dallas, TX